Monday, June 23, 2008

Does a dog bite?

I do not even think I have to queue this one up...

Do you cold call?
Everyone I've spoken to either loves or hates cold calling. It seems that no one is on the fence. So if you cold call, why do you do it? What types of results do you get? What do you say? Where do you find your list? If you don't cold call, why not? Have you tried it and gotten poor results? What do you do instead?


Great question and I hope you are seeking insights as a preface to a cold calling effort of your own. If not, that's cool too... Anyway, I cold call because I love to do so! I guess I should preface this by asking whether you are speaking of cold calling over the phone or canvassing? (door to door) I have done both successfully over the years but will stick to what is probably the traditional denotation- over the phone cold calling.

I always produce great results through my efforts because of the aforementioned "why" and I think that is the lynchpin in any successful endeavor- The Passion one brings to the endeavor. If a person hates something it is impossible to derive satisfaction from it because our intellects and emotions will not allow it. In most cases, the level of satisfaction or reward will drive the level of success. (Maslow's hierarchy of needs for organizational behavior)

I say anything that comes to mind... seriously, I utilize scripts that I've developed over time through trial/ error, (mostly error) expert insights and recommendations of others and stuff I get from the culmination of every book I have read on interacting with people and communcation.

Lists are a dime a dozen and can be found all over the internet. You can create you own list from address books, past contacts, personal networking, etc. You can buy lists from the likes of InfoUSA and Dun & Bradstreet. (Harris and Hoovers too) You can subscribe to services like One Source, Salesgenie, True Advantage, etc. You can use the phone book, or other print advertising directories. You can use social and professional networking sites like LinkedIn. You can use competitor websites... no one does that though. Ha ha.

All and all, if you endeavor to initiate a cold calling effort it can be rewarding, challenging, frustrating, pain staking, tedious, exciting and boring all at once. I like to think of it as preparing for a ride on the world's tallest, fastest and most looping roller coaster- going up the first hill with a blindfold. How exciting and frightening is that? Whatever you come up with have fun.

No comments: